You have 1 free articles left this month.
LYNN — Two overnight fires broke out in the city Monday into early Tuesday morning.
An electrical fire destroyed a storage shed attached to the back of a Glenwood Road single-family home and a trash fire caused by careless cigarette disposal damaged the back porch of a Newhall Street three-family home, Lynn Fire Capt. Joseph Zukas said.
Firefighters responded to a fire at 16 Glenwood shortly after 11 p.m. and while crews were still on scene, the department got a 12:22 a.m. call for another blaze at 63R Newhall St., Zukas said. Both fires were extinguished fairly quickly, he said.
“It was a busy hour, hour and a half,” Zukas said. “The guys made a good stop. Whenever fires are at night, maybe it takes longer to discover them.”
Because the shed was built as an addition, the fire left extensive smoke and water damage throughout the first floor of the Glenwood Road home, Zukas said.
Zukas said the fire was caused by extension cords inside the shed and the city’s Inspectional Services Department was evaluating whether the family, a mother, adult child and minor child, could occupy the home.
At 63R Newhall, a trash fire on the outside of the building extended to a porch attached to the back of the home. The house wasn’t affected, but there was minor damage to the deck, Zukas said.
The home was fully occupied at the time of the fire, but it’s unclear how many people reside there. No residents were displaced, Zukas said.