Local Crime, News, Police/Fire

Two men shot in Rudy’s Barbershop in Lynn

Police investigate a shooting on Lewis Street Thursday afternoon in Lynn at Rudy's Barbershop. (Spenser Hasak)

LYNN — A double shooting Thursday afternoon in a Lewis Street barbershop left the owner with non life-threatening injuries and a second employee wounded. 

Police responded to the shooting shortly before 1 p.m. and are still looking for a suspect, Lynn Police Lt. Michael Kmiec said. 

Cruisers were parked outside Rudy’s Barbershop and the surrounding area following the incident. 

Amberis, a woman who didn’t want to give her last name, said she witnessed her boss, the owner of Rudy’s Barbershop, get shot in the head. 

She said she saw a man leave the barbershop after getting a haircut, and fire four shots through the business’s glass-pane door, striking him in the head. 

“(Rudy) was cutting someone’s hair,” Amberis said. “I was outside (and) when I turned around, this guy just started shooting. I chased him all the way down the street. My boss was shot in the head. This never happens. Everyone is so humble who works here.” 

The woman said she lost the suspect during the chase, but was able to provide police with a description of a black man wearing a black hoodie and gray sweatpants. 

The barbershop owner was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with non life-threatening injuries. Kmiec said the hospital has determined that the head injury was not from a direct gunshot wound, as it initially appeared to first responders. It’s unclear whether it was from a grazing wound, shrapnel or if he injured his head trying to take cover, he said.

The other male employee was taken to Salem Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after he was grazed in the upper body by a bullet, Kmiec said. Both victims were expected to be released from the hospitals by Thursday evening, he said.

Joe, a bystander who didn’t want to share his last name, said he didn’t witness the shooting, but he saw the woman chase the suspect down. 

“This was out of the blue,” he said. “It was a quiet day over here.” 

No arrests have been made and the incident is under investigation. 

Gayla Cawley contributed to this article. She can be reached at gcawley@itemlive.com.

More Stories From Lynn