LYNN — A 28-year-old man suffered burns to both of his hands while lighting fireworks Thursday evening, said Fire Chief Stephen Archer.
The holiday accident occurred near 13 Brookline St., said Archer, who did not initially identify the man but said he is a Brookline Street resident.
Archer said the burns to the man’s right hand were severe with minor injuries from flying particles. The man was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital.
“We try to reach out every year to warn people to leave fireworks to the professionals,” Archer said. “Unfortunately, incidents like this one happen.”
Possession and use of all fireworks by private citizens is illegal in Massachusetts, which includes “class C fireworks” such as sparklers, party poppers, snappers, firecrackers, spinners and cherry bombs.
In the last decade, 38 people were treated at Massachusetts emergency rooms for severe burn injuries from fireworks and 55 percent of the victims were all under the age of 25, according to Massachusetts Burn Injury Reporting System.
About 18 percent of victims were between the ages of 15 and 24, eight percent were between the ages of 10 and 14, 18 percent between the age of 5 and 9, and 11 percent were under the age of 5.