News, Police/Fire

Peabody cottage destroyed by fire

A Peabody firefighter walks past 2 Dana Rd in Peabody where an early morning fire ripped through the home. (Spenser R. Hasak)

PEABODY — An early morning fire that started in a wood stove destroyed a cottage on Dana Road Friday, according to the Peabody Fire Department.

The homeowner awoke to crackling sounds at 4:41 a.m., smelled smoke and called for help. The three-person family removed some of their belongings and escaped the house unharmed amid freezing temperatures.

When crews arrived, the dwelling was fully engulfed in flames.

Lt. Christopher Dowling said the blaze was a result of complications with the wood stove.

“We don’t exactly what went wrong, but a year ago a new double-lined flue was installed,” he said. “It’s hard to explain the ignition sequence given the amount of damage.”

The state Fire Marshal’s and the Massachusetts State Police assisted in the investigation.

The single-family cottage is owned by the Mark Stephen Realty Trust and Eugene and Virginia Stewart, according to the city’s Assessors Office. It is assessed at $361,800.

Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey encouraged residents to check their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms this weekend. The annual request comes with arrival of daylight saving time, meant to be a reminder to check your batteries while changing your clocks.

“Working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms can save your life,” he said. “Replace aging alarms, and unless they have a 10-year sealed battery, replace the alkaline batteries now.”

More Stories From Peabody