News, Police/Fire

Firefighters knock down a blaze in an Eastern Avenue home

Firefighters made quick work of a fire in an Eastern Avenue home. (Thor Jourgensen)

LYNN — Firefighters quickly knocked down a working house fire on Eastern Avenue late Thursday morning.

At 10:51 a.m., Lynn and Swampscott fire crews responded to a basement fire at 182 Eastern Ave, according to Lynn District Chief Mike McBride. The fire, which started from improper electrical wiring, spread to the first floor but was fairly contained to one section of the building, he said.

“Six people were displaced by the fire,” said Lynn Fire Captain Joseph Zukas. “People cannot live in there right now. Firefighters had to rip open the walls of the home to get to the electrical wires.”

Three residents —one woman and two children — were home at the time and made it out safely. The woman told the district chief that she saw smoke coming out of a heating vent.

The fire was declared under control at 11:21 a.m. and crews cleared out by 11:54 a.m., according to Zukas. Firefighters had to rip open the walls of the home to get to the electrical wires

McBride said there were no rescues and no one was hurt.

An electrical engineer and the city’s Inspectional Services Department remained on scene to survey the damage and look into what recent electrical work was done to the home.

More Stories From Lynn