LYNN — The blaze that ripped through a triple decker home Thanksgiving night began after an electrical fire started in the basement and traveled up through the walls.
The building, home to four children and 13 adults, is a total loss, according to Lynn Fire Capt. Joseph Zukas. Completed in 1910, the Grover Street home was built using “balloon construction,” an old method that frames houses with long studs that extend interrupted from the sill on top of the foundation, all the way up to the roof.
“The fire traveled up through the walls and into the roof, which compromises the building and makes it difficult for firefighters to tackle,” he said.
The 17 residents of 18-20 Grover Street, many of which were celebrating the holiday inside when the fire started, all made it out safely with no injuries. Two firefighters were transported to Salem Hospital from the frigid scene, one with a broken toe and the other with a minor shoulder injury, said Zukas.
The first call for the fire came in at 8:30 p.m. Thursday and firefighters weren’t able to get it completely under control until 1:50 a.m. Friday, said Zukas. The severe weather conditions made for a lot of slips and falls as well as frozen water lines and equipment, he said.
“Our guys did a tremendous job under horrendous conditions,” he said.
A GoFundMe page was started by Catherine Heng, a family member who hopes to get her loved ones back on their feet.
Bella diGrazia can be reached at email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter.