News, Police/Fire

Trial set for a man charged in a 2015 fatal shooting in Revere

REVERE — A 33-year-old man charged with first-degree murder in the death of 18-year-old Andres Jaramillo in Revere will face lawyers’ opening statements Monday.

Suffolk District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said jury selection is complete and lawyers’ opening statements are expected Monday in the trial of Luis Urbaez, charged with first-degree murder, armed assault with intent to murder, and firearms offenses relating to the Jan. 23, 2015 shooting death of Jaramillo in his car on Garfield Avenue.

In a 2015 arraignment, Assistant District Attorney Mark Zanini told the court that shortly before midnight on Jan. 22, 2015, Urbaez and Juan “Juanito” Gaviria, of Revere, were searching for a teen in Revere who had been involved in a physical altercation earlier that day with Gaviria.

The two men located the teen, and Jaramillo, in the latter’s parked Honda Accord on Garfield Avenue at around 2 a.m. on Jan. 23. According to Zanini’s statement to the court, Gaviria and Urbaez pulled up alongside the parked vehicle and opened fire at the two occupants, striking and killing Jaramillo.

Police responded to Garfield Avenue, a side street near North Shore Road, and found Jaramillo, of Chelsea, suffering from fatal gunshot wounds.

Gaviria, then 18, was ordered held without bail at his arraignment in Suffolk Superior court in December 2015. He was charged with first-degree murder, assault with intent to murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and carrying a loaded firearm.

At the time, Urbaez was at large and was being sought by the State Police Violent Fugitives Apprehensive Section. He was arrested Dec. 16, 2015, according to Wark.  

Urbaez and Gaviria are being tried separately, said Wark. Gaviria’s trial is scheduled for Dec. 10, 2018.  

 

More Stories From Revere