Swampscott girls lacrosse rolls past Georgetown

Swampscott's Emerson Laundry (left) had four goals and one assist in the team's win over Georgetown Tuesday. (Item File Photo)

SWAMPSCOTT — The Swampscott girls lacrosse team opened up the Division 2 North tournament with a bang Tuesday afternoon, as the No. 5 Big Blue rolled to a 14-6 win over No. 12 Georgetown in the first round at Blocksidge Field. Aside from a few sloppy passes and a rough five-minute stretch late in the second half, Swampscott didn’t have much trouble in earning the win.

“We’ve been working really hard this week to try to open up our offense a little more,” said Swampscott coach Al Eaton. “We’ve been a little stagnant on that side of the ball lately, so it was good to see us come out and score early to get that momentum and then ride it for the whole game.”

Swampscott’s Emerson Laundry led the offensive attack with four goals and one assist, while Grace DiGrande had three goals and one assist and Elizabeth Green had three goals. Mary Miles added two goals, Ocean Crawley-Sweeney and Reese Robertson each had one goal and Harper Clopton, Jackie Frisoli and Kendra Fitzgerald each had one assist.

The Big Blue came right out with a flurry of goals early in the game. The Big Blue put up six unanswered goals to open the game, including two each from Laundry and Miles and one each from Green and Robertson. While the first goal of the game, from Green, came just three minutes into the contest, it took over 10 minutes before the next goal was scored due to slippery field conditions and some sloppy passing. But then Miles netted two goals within one minute of each other, and the Big Blue were on their way. After Laundry scored two and Robertson added one, Swampscott took a commanding 6-0 lead.

Mary Laut finally broke the streak with just over five minutes to go in the first half, putting Georgetown on the board with a tally. However, just 18 seconds later, Laundry scored to steal back the momentum for the Big Blue. DiGrande and Crawley-Sweeney each added a goal over the final 3:30 of the half to take a 9-1 lead into the break.

“I couldn’t really ask for much more from an offensive perspective,” Eaton said. “They really moved the ball around, took what was given to them and executed the game plan exactly how we wanted to. It was a great performance.”

While Swampscott did come out and score the first three goals of the second half, it was actually the Royals who had a solid run in the second half. Despite already being down 13-2 with less than 10 minutes to go in the game, Georgetown’s Abby Donahue went on a run of four unanswered goals by herself to cut the deficit to 13-6. But, after DiGrande netted her third goal of the game with just under 1:30 remaining, the win was sealed for Swampscott. DiGrande and Green each scored two goals in the half, while Laundry had one.

“I think there was just a point there in the second half where we kind of lost focus a little bit,” said Eaton. “It could have been the running time that we had going for awhile, but I’m not too concerned about it. The girls should be very happy with their performance overall in this game, on both sides of the ball.”

The Big Blue (13-6) will now move on to play a road game against a tough, unfamiliar opponent in No. 4 Tyngsboro in the quarterfinals Thursday (3:30).

More Stories From Swampscott