Peabody man arrested after police chase


WORCESTER A Peabody man with a history of running from police faces a variety of drug and weapons charges following a high-speed chase from Auburn to Marlborough on Tuesday.

Marqus Mitchell, 33, was arraigned Wednesday in district court in Worcester and is being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing Friday, according to Timothy Connolly of the Worcester County District Attorney’s office.

Tuesday’s chase began when two Auburn police officers reportedly saw two men in the parking lot of an Outback Steakhouse. The officers approached one of the men, later identified as Mitchell, and tried to talk to him, according to a news release.

Mitchell got out of his car, but police said he refused to take his hands out of his pockets and, based on his behavior, the officers believed he was under the influence of drugs and possibly armed.

Police found a small amount of cocaine on Mitchell, and when they went into his car, they found a loaded magazine belonging to a gun inside. The officers tried to take Mitchell into custody, but police said he violently resisted. After using a Taser on Mitchell twice, police said Mitchell fought his way back to his car and took off down the Mass. Pike.

Mitchell was chased by Auburn and state police before losing control of his car on Route 495 in Marlborough. Mitchell got out of his car holding the gun, but eventually dropped it and was arrested, police said.

Mitchell was charged with possession of a large capacity firearm, two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, possession of ammunition without a firearms identification card, possession of cocaine, resisting arrest, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for a police officer, speeding, a marked lanes violation, and disorderly conduct.

Tuesday’s chase wasn’t the first time Mitchell has allegedly run from police and been Tased.

Last June, Mitchell was arrested on drug charges in Hampton, N.H. after he was stopped and ran from officers, police said. In that incident, Mitchell resisted arrest and had to be subdued with a stun gun, police said.

More Stories From Peabody