REVERE — Mayor Brian Arrigo has submitted a Statement of Interest to the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) for a new high school.
The submission was made on behalf of the Revere School Committee, which voted at a March 21 meeting to submit the letter, dated April 6.
“I will be working closely with the superintendent and the rest of the School Committee in the coming years to make sure we are able to take the award-winning work performed by educators at Revere High School and move it into a modern building that will meet the needs of our students for decades to come,” said Arrigo in a column on his website titled ‘Investing in Revere’s Future.’
A notice from Superintendent Dr. Dianne Kelly to the school committee cites an obsolete, structurally unsound and overcrowded building at 101 School St. as the reason why a replacement is needed.
Kelly said at the meeting that the MSBA did not invite Revere into its core program last year.
She said the MSBA indicated the city had a strong application, but limited funding prevented the process from moving forward. Kelly said they were encouraged to apply again this year.
A statement of interest is the first required step in the lengthy process of securing funding for a new school. It doesn’t guarantee the application’s acceptance.
If the city is cleared to move forward in the process, a feasibility study identifying siting options and the completion of a comprehensive planning process will need to be conducted, said Arrigo’s column.
Leah Dearborn can be reached at [email protected]