Local Crime, News, Police/Fire

Officials: Couple fought off home invader, threw him out

LYNN — Police reported that an alleged home invasion Friday resulted in a man being beaten on the head with a firearm and thrown through a glass door.

Monday, a judge ordered that same man held without bail after officials said a couple fought off a man who burst into a home and tried to rob them.

“(The male alleged victim) at this point was able to wrestle the firearm from the suspect and struck the man on the top of the head with the weapon several times,” Lynn Police Officer Ralph Sirois Jr. wrote in a report. “(The female alleged victim) stated that she then grabbed and threw the suspect resulting in the man crashing through a French-style door, breaking the glass window panes and tearing the door from its hinges.”

Daryl Reese, 43, of 444 Harrison Ave., Boston, was arrested and charged with home invasion; armed assault to rob; and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon; at 4:23 p.m. Friday.

He was arraigned in Lynn District Court Monday morning where a plea of not guilty was entered on his behalf.

Lynn Police said three children ran into the station Friday afternoon and said a black man had burst into a nearby apartment with a handgun and their parents were still there, according to a report.

Police said officers surrounded the building while other officers met the female alleged victim at the apartment door. Police described the woman as “hysterical,” saying she was crying and screaming and had apparent blood stains on her shirt.

The male alleged victim told police he was eating when the suspect entered the apartment and began waving what appeared to be a handgun.

“(The male alleged victim) stated the suspect placed the handgun to his head and was screaming at him ‘give me the money!’” police said.

The male alleged victim told police he gave the suspect $600 and the suspect hit the man on the head with the gun when the man said he had no more money, according to police.

But the male alleged victim told police he immediately suspected the weapon was not real and grabbed for the firearm, according to reports. Police reported the man said the alleged female victim tried to help, also grabbing the weapon but getting bitten by the suspect in the process.

At that point, the alleged victims gained control of the struggle and the suspect fled while bleeding from a head wound, according to police.

Police reported recovering from the apartment what the alleged victims identified as the suspect’s pellet gun and the suspect’s baseball hat.

The alleged victims described the suspect as a thin, dark-skinned black man, approximately 5-foot, 6-inches tall and wearing a white T-shirt and dark pants, according to police.

Lynn Police Officer Edward Cauley reported pedestrians observed a bleeding man run into an Essex Street building. Officers found Reese in the front entryway, shirtless, with a blood-stained T-shirt at his feet and bleeding profusely from his head, police reported.

Both alleged victims identified Reese as the person who had invaded their home and attacked them, according to reports. Police said Reese was carrying $141 in cash.

Prosecutors requested at Reese’s arraignment that Reese be held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing, according to court documents.

Judge Ellen Flatley approved the request, and Reese is scheduled to return to court July 30, according to court documents.

Reese’s court-appointed attorney declined to comment on the case after the arraignment.

More Stories From Lynn