HAWC seeks old cell phones

SALEM – Help for Abused Women and their Children (HAWC) is seeking unwanted but still operable cell phones that can be distributed to victims of domestic violence for use in emergencies.Cell phones with their battery and charger can be dropped off at several North Shore locations, including the Danvers, Ipswich, Lynn, and Salem police departments; the Manchester-by-the-Sea and the Salem public libraries; Marblehead Pediatrics, 70 Atlantic Ave. in Marblehead; Salem City Hall, and at the HAWC offices at 27 Congress St. in Salem.The phones will be used to call the 911 emergency number.Essex County Sheriff Frank Cousins Jr. is also in need of working cell phones with chargers and battery to distribute to senior citizens as part of his department’s TRIAD program.County TRIAD programs attempt to partner the community senior citizens with local law enforcement to fight crime. The effort includes arming the residents with cell phones that can only be used to call 911.

More Stories In News