detectors

Wayne Alarm: Be safe in your apartment

SAFETY TIP OF THE DAY

SPONSORED BY WAYNE ALARM AND HONEYWELL.

Apartment fire are much more common than we all might like to think, which is a little frightening to think about. Whether your residence is a single-family home or an apartment, it’s important to take the calm and proper steps that can save your life. The majority of fire are results of kitchen/cooking, heating equipments such as space heaters, and even arson which includes children at times playing with fire.

So you might ask yourself: Well, I live in an apartment. What can I do if I’m ever in this situation?

Performing a fire inspection and ensuring that everything is up-to-code can make a big difference. Here are some tips to ensure you are prepared and safe in case of any fire emergency:

Make sure all exit and stairwell doors are marked, not locked or blocked by security bars.
It’s very important to know the locations of all exit stairs from your floor level, in case you need to get out in an emergency.
If there are not a number of adequate working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, contact your landlord.
If ever stuck inside your apartment and you can’t find any exit, try to stuff wet towels or sheets around the door and vents. This helps to keep the smoke out.
Here are some ways to ensure that you stay safe on a daily basis throughout your apartment:

Don’t leave cooking food unattended
Always ensure that your stove or oven is off if you’re not in the room or leaving your apartment. It’s also very, very important to never use your oven as a source to heat your home.
Make sure there’s a three feet distance with household combustibles from heating equipments: space heaters, fireplace, or wood stoves. In addition turn portable heaters off when leaving a room or going to bed.
Replace any worn electrical cords. Use power strips if additional outlets are needed.
If using an electric space heater, use a heavy-duty cord of 14-gauge wire or larger. Otherwise, avoid using one at all cost.
Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
Unless specified, don’t use electric space heaters in damp, wet areas.
It’s very important to always be aware of using the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.

In case you ever do find yourself in a fire:

Always check doors before opening them. If the door feels cool, open it slowly and stay low to the ground and leave the building as soon as possible. If the door is warm, use wet towels or beddings to seal the door and vets. Proceed to a window, and if there is no smoke outside, signal for help. If you are able to, call 9-1-1 and make them aware that you are trapped in the building.

Don’t ever use an elevator during a fire. Always use the stairs!

Item live-3

“Here yesterday… Here today…Here tomorrow.”

www.waynealarm.com

Wayne Alarm: Danger of carbon monoxide

SAFETY TIP OF THE DAY

SPONSORED BY WAYNE ALARM AND HONEYWELL.

Home Security ranges from having a burglar system to proper smoke and carbon monoxide systems. Wayne Alarm system wants to make sure that people not only have the correct carbon monoxide alarms set up in their homes but that they are also informed about the dangers that it can create.

Once carbon monoxide (CO) is breathed in, it actually replaces the oxygen in your blood, killing cells and starving vital organs. One of the biggest problems with CO is that it has no taste, smell and as humans our bodily senses cannot detect it. Without sufficient CO detectors installed in your home, you place you and your family in very serious danger.

CO gets produced whenever a material in your home starts to burn. Particularly homes that have fuel-burning appliances or attached garages are apt to have more CO issues. Some of the more frequent sources in which CO gets produced in our homes is from:

  • Furnaces/boilers
  • Ovens/gas stoves
  • Motor Vehicles
  • Fireplaces
  • Clothes dryers
  • And much more

It is estimated that around 500 people each year in the U.S. die from unintended CO exposure. The good news comes from the fact that carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with installing CO alarms in your home and having them professionally monitored by Wayne Alarm Systems.

For more information about Carbon Monoxide systems, please feel free to contact us. We can be reached over the phone at 781-595-0000 or through our online contact form at www.waynealarm.com.

Item live-3

“Here yesterday… Here today…Here tomorrow.”

www.waynealarm.com