Brothers face murder for fatal brick attack

May 19, 2017

PHOTO BY PAULA MULLER
Werner Garcia Figueroa and Selvin F. Garcia are arraigned on multiple charges including murder.

BY ADAM SWIFT

LYNN Two Lynn brothers pleaded not guilty Friday in Lynn District Court in connection with a fatal attack May 14 on Blake Street.

Werner Garcia Figueroa, 19, of 15 Bassett St. in Lynn and Selvin F. Garcia, 23, were ordered held without bail by Judge Cathleen Campbell. A probable cause hearing is scheduled for June 27.

Both men were charged with murder, armed robbery, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The two men laid in wait to attack Sergio Sanchez, 39, of Reading and his brother, Antonio, 33, of Lynn, following an argument in the early morning hours of May 14 at Las Vegas Y Restaurante on Munroe Street, according to Assistant District Attorney Ashlee Logan.

She said the defendants beat Sergio Sanchez with a hard object, believed to be a brick.

“After the defendants ran from the scene, Antonio Sanchez called 911,” Logan said. “The two defendants returned and began beating Antonio Sanchez again and stole his phone. After beating Antonio, they kicked Sergio as he was laying on the ground.”

Driver crashes, knocks power in Swampscott

Sergio Sanchez died from his injuries the next morning. Antonio Sanchez was injured but expected to recover.

The defendants were identified by patrons and staff at the restaurant, as well as through video surveillance, Logan said.

But Selvin Garcia’s attorney, Edward Hayden, said his client maintains his innocence and that he will be mounting a vigorous defense. Hayden noted that the defense has yet to see the video surveillance mentioned by the prosecutor.

Prior to the arraignment, Campbell ruled that the police report be withheld from the public due to damage its release could cause to an ongoing murder investigation.

After looking in the direction of reporters in the courtroom, Logan asked that anyone who had previously taken a copy of the police report return it. WCVB Channel 5 reporter Sera Congi was called to the bench, but after conferring with attorneys and Campbell, it was determined that Congi had looked at the police report before tweeting about it, but had not taken a physical copy.